The Lure of the Vanity Pet

Lil Ragnaros, Singing Sunflower, Moonkin Hatchling and Mr Grubb

Lil Ragnaros, Singing Sunflower, Moonkin Hatchling and Mr Grubb

I had pretty much decided to completely close the doors on WoW. I hadn’t logged in for over a month, strange pregnancy hormones have me thinking about babies and nurseries  pretty much every waking second of my day and I had no idea how far off the Cataclysm launch was let alone bothering to pre order a copy.

Yesterday this changed.

My new cubicle neighbor at work is a WoW player. I know this because I overheard him begging to have time off work for the Cataclysm launch (his boss has just started playing the game as well so he clearly felt quite comfortable telling her his reasons for wanting time off).  After chatting to him for a bit about his WoW history and healing priest, I was inspired to have a look at my reader and see if anything exciting had happened in Azeroth over the last 5 weeks.

And that’s when it happened. I discovered the Moonkin Hatchling had been released in the Blizzard store.

I wanted it… I wanted it bad. The thing is, I couldn’t very well justify purchasing a pet (even if half the money was going to a great cause) if I had no intention of opening up WoW ever again.

I then discovered that there were other vanity pets now available through quests: the Singing Sunflower looked particularly cool and Mr Grubbs… well let’s just say I’ve always had a fondness for mini ugly things, to me they are nothing short of adorable.

I had to log in… the lure of the vanity pet was just too strong.

Sadly I didn’t get my Sunflower last night. Between being constantly ganked by idiot horde teenagers who have most likely just finished school and clearly had way too much time on their hands, and a server shutdown I didn’t quite finish the final phase which rewards the pet.  I’m sure tonight this can be remedied and I’ll move onto Mr Grubbs.

On the personal front for those who have been asking and are interested.

Pregnancy. I really don’t particularly like it and can’t say I’m someone who has “blossomed” while with child. In fact I would say that I pretty much feel like a beached whale or perhaps a hippopotamus depending on if I’m waddling around or lying down.

I am also unfortunately one of 8% of pregnant women who have gestational diabetes for their final trimester. This is incredibly annoying seeing I’ve never craved chocolate or fruit juice so much in my life. Thankfully I ate fairly well to begin with and have been able to manage things without really changing my diet at all (sans the fruit juice and chocolate obviously). I am also anemic, another fairly common third trimester symptom simply rectified with a daily iron supplement. This all means that I’ve been moved into a “high risk” category of pregnancy and now see both my normal obstetrician and an endocrinologist fortnightly on alternating weeks.

Because I’m managing it well I get to deal with all the unpleasant parts like the fortnightly blood tests, the 4 times a day finger pricking but I sadly don’t get to have a 3rd trimester ultrasound to see my little girl again. Talk about unfair!

I’ve also discovered that somewhere around week 28, some hormone must have been released that now makes me find pastel pink adorable and cry at everything from TV commercials as well as episodes of Glee and The Zoo.

In any case, sometime within the next 5 – 6 weeks (dependent on if I’m induced because of the diabetes) my little girl will arrive and I’m sure it will all be worth it!

24 Responses to “The Lure of the Vanity Pet”

1. tinkerpriestNo Gravatar says

There’s a Withers pet (looks like a treant) available in Darkshore as well. XD

2. VelidraNo Gravatar says

I haven’t even started looking at collecting all those mini pets…

I’ll probably do it after cata actually hits, so all those little pvp horde/alliance kiddos are running around the high level zones >.> Actually that sounds like a really good plan… :)
    Velidra’s last post: Int regen mechanics

• LathNo Gravatar says

I was thinking and going and doing the Netherdrake egg farm in Shadowmoon. I figure no one else will be collecting eggs so I should snaffle them up pretty quickly. Or I might try archaeology but I got bored of that pretty quickly on the Beta.
      Lath’s last post: The Lure of the Vanity Pet

• VelidraNo Gravatar says

Depending on how your able to handle boring monetarily (sp?) you should be able to finish up netherwing fairly quickly. I was able to knock it out in a few days while sick.

Granted I’m a bit crazy and I’ve done crusader not twice but twice now ~_~
        Velidra’s last post: Int regen mechanics

Souldat was showing me his Mr. Grubbs the other day, and that sucker actually does a backflip! As far as vanity pets go, that is way too cute.

That same hormone is why you find the vanity pet so irresistible. Believe me, I know; my wife wasn’t one for cutesy wootsy stuff at all (she’s a Geologist by training, and is a tomboy by nature), and I got suddenly overwhelmed by all the pink and fuzzy and Peter Rabbit-y stuff when our oldest was born.

I’m sorry to hear your pregnancy ain’t going so well, Lath. But remember, for the next 18 years, you can use that pregnancy to keep your kid in line: “I did NOT go through all that pain and misery just to have you pull that stunt young lady!”

Seriously, it’s going to be worth it in the end.
    Redbeard’s last post: Quick Thoughts on The Shattering

4. AinellaNo Gravatar says

The pets aren’t too bad to get. Hubby and I spent a couple evenings getting them (I made him get the Sunflower for me while I was cleaning hehehe).

There is also a Tiny Flamefly that you get in Burning Steppes (if I remember correctly) , and out of all of the 4 pets, the Flamefly took the longest as we had to do more quests in there to open up the quest chain. But that one only took an hour I think (with me stopping to pick flowers too, since we can’t trade in for inks yet!)

Good luck on your pregnancy, it really is worth it!!! Hang in there!

• LathNo Gravatar says

The Firefly does look pretty cute! I wasn’t sure if that or Withers would take the longest so I think being a druid I owe it to Withers to try for him first. But I definitely don’t want to miss out on that cute little Firefly either!
      Lath’s last post: The Lure of the Vanity Pet

5. AnalogueNo Gravatar says

Sorry you’re having all those fun complications. If you’re still psyched up on WoW after the baby, get a nursing pillow – they’re called “Boppy” pillows here in the US. It’ll let you nurse one-handed and I found it really easy to sit at my computer, nurse, and play. That’s if your baby is the sort who hangs out the “do not disturb” sign when she starts eating, some of them like being sociable :) Also WoW is awesome for those times when the baby is down for a nap and you realize it’s been days since you’ve had an intelligent conversation with an adult person, you can get “out of the house” without even leaving home.

Not saying playing WoW takes any precedence over the baby, just that I’ve found they’re kind of complimentary.

• RedbeardNo Gravatar says

I second this completely.

When one of Q’s guild officers had her first kid, she used to spend time on WoW when she was on maternitiy leave and the baby was down for a nap. She ended up working on Loremaster in a friendly competition with me to see who could complete it first.
      Redbeard’s last post: Quick Thoughts on The Shattering

• LathNo Gravatar says

Hmmm a nursing pillow hey? I’ve had friends tell me they were a waste of money :( Its so hard to know whats going to actually work for you and bub >.<

My biggest worry is that is going to be peak summer when bub is born and we have no air conditioning. Playing on the computer could be unbearable without holding a bubba so I'm not too sure is snuggling one on a pillow is going to work…. at least not in the middle of the day :P
        Lath’s last post: The Lure of the Vanity Pet

• AngelyaNo Gravatar says

I’m planning on investing in one of these sometime before mine comes too, mostly just because of the awesome name… http://www.boomerangbaby.com.au/

It’s sooo gonna be worth it Lath! Hang in there mate :) It’s okay, it’s not supposed to get hot anytime soon so at least that’s something /eyeroll
      Angelya’s last post: Be Prepared

6. NanukiNo Gravatar says

I wish you all the best for your pregnance :) <3
    Nanuki’s last post: Lazy Screeny Updates

7. Remember: No last minute name changes to favorite quest NPCs. Well, unless they’re really awesome.

8. AnachanNo Gravatar says

Not sure that the crying hormone goes away . . . I still cry at everything . . . Good luck! Little girls are so much fun!

I figured as a Resto Druid, the Withers pet in Darkshore was mandatory, so I got that as soon as I could. Seriously considering that Moonkin Hatchling . . .

• LathNo Gravatar says

Oh dear really? I’m not used to crying and I don’t think my other half has got a grip on it yet either. Each time I come in sniffling with a tissue box he looks all alarmed until I tell him I’m crying about the poor baby giraffe that died on the Zoo or that this song on Glee was just so emotional. Then he just gives me this mildly confused look as if to say “is that all?!”

I’m hoping that I might get a bit of time over the weekend to start farming Withers. I feel it is my duty as a druid to have all druidic (is that a word) pets in my collection!
      Lath’s last post: The Lure of the Vanity Pet

9. SylNo Gravatar says

There’s actually quite a few shinies to get at the moment and indeed, getting them should fit in nicely with some casual gaming and questing when you got the time. :)
    also, am I the only one who thinks mini ragnaros > moonkin hatchling??

• LathNo Gravatar says

Mini Ragnaros is pretty cool and I did purchase him when I purchased my moonkin. But as a druid I guess I just feel that it would be wrong not having that cute lil fella in my collection!
      Lath’s last post: The Lure of the Vanity Pet

10. FlorenceNo Gravatar says

The singing sunflower looked so cute. But a tutorial indicated that there are 5 quests to get it. It is a good thing that Mr. Grubb is available if singing sunflower isn’t. And I have to say that Glee is really a good show. I hope everything is well with the game and the baby.
    Florence’s last post: Mystery Cube-in-a-Cube

11. Thank you any other wonderful article. The location different may any person wardrobe sort of details in this the best method associated with writing? I own a speech in a few days, and i’m within the look for similarly info.