Junkboxes

Lower Blackrock Spire

Stealthed in Lower Blackrock Spire

I never realised that WordPress’s Save Draft button secretly means revert to yesterday’s version. So let’s forget the writing. I’m not writing this post a second time. Sorry. Here’s the picture. And the conclusion: I got Exalted with Ravenholdt.

Here are some facts:

The Glyph of Pick Pocket is your friend

Camouflage is your other friend. Spec it.

Heavy Junkboxes gathered: 1340

Blackrock Depth runs: 24

Lower Blackrock Spire runs: 36

Average length of each run: 11-14 minutes

Junkboxes gathered per run: 17-24

The Blackrock Depths run took me 13 minutes to complete and covers 226 mobs.

The Lower Blackrock Spire run took me 11 minutes to complete and covers 196 mobs.

Both yield about the same amount of Junkboxes per hour. The takings seemed slightly better in BRD but the mobs like to move around a bit there.

Mobs respawn their pockets every 10 minutes. There’s no need to reset your instance.

Glee, Jesus Christ Superstar (the Aussie 1992 version) and Phantom of the Opera were my soundtracks of choice for this grind. Go figure.

You can move out of Pick Pocket range while you’re looting, you won’t miss anything

The game will re-target the Pick Pocket-ed mob while it’s processing loot

You should wait until you hear the *chink* of looting coins until you select your next Pick Pocket target

Checking the contents of the Junkboxes gave me about 50 Star Rubies and 5-10 Uncommon Items. I don’t recommend it.

The Glyph of Pick Lock is your friend (if you decide you just have to check the boxes)

Emptying a box consumes it – that is bad

1 Engineer’s Mailbox lasts 10 minutes

1/3 of the Junkboxes were handed in in 10 minutes

You can disenchant the uncommon item to consume it

Southshore is the closest Alliance mailbox to Ravenholdt Manor

The trip to and from Southshore is 1m 50sec

The second closest Alliance mailbox to Ravenholdt Manor is at Aerie Peak

The trip to and from Aerie Peak is 1m 58 seconds

Alliance characters cannot use the mailbox at Tarren Mill

You can Levitate or Slow Fall from Ravenholdt Manor and be just far enough from the Tarren Mill guards

To travel to Ravenholdt Manor from Dire Maul you need to Fly to Theramore, Boat to Menethil Harbour and fly to Southshore then run north. Takes about 10 minutes.

12 Responses to “Junkboxes”

1. Congratulations! You did that way faster than I did.

Don’t worry – Dire Maul is proving to be very very difficult for me :( I might be stuck here for a long time yet.

• If it helps to motivate you, Dire Maul is a great place to get ogre suits. Depending on your bag space there’s a lot of profitable stuff in there: runecloth, greens to DE, sometimes an epic pattern from the goblin, and of course tons of greys which add up. I got into the habit of doing a run, then going out to reset and vendor as much as I could on my mammoth, to minimize mailbox usage. That I’d usually save for either duplicate librams or when I was getting ogre suits (the quest gives a small amount of rep).

2. XeppeNo Gravatar says

Gratz!
    And the draft thing hates me too.
    I’ve discovered that if you go to your dashboard and click the down arrow on the New Post button (at the top right), and then choose ‘Drafts’, your most recent version does appear- in a kinda primitive format – and you can copy and paste it over the older version that WordPress really wants you to publish . . .
    .-= Xeppe’s last blog: The problem with phishing emails =-.

3. VokNo Gravatar says

That’s a lot of pick pocketing…
    .-= Vok’s last blog: Just when I thought I was out =-.

Congrats on one step closer to insanity!

Ya know, you’d think that getting Insane in the Membrane would require you to go visiting with some of Old Gods….
    .-= Redbeard’s last blog: Duelling Crusaders =-.

5. ShivaNo Gravatar says

Congratulations, nice to see you visited BRD too. One of the things I like about BRD is it has a vendor and Ace of Elementals.

Also, I know it’s a bit too late now since you’re already done, but for any reader out there. Besides using distract, you can sap the leader of the mobs to cause the entire group of mobs to stop moving in BRD. (Usually either the one in the front or the one in the center).

6. EristhanNo Gravatar says

I’ve been working like a dog on mine. Only managed to get 10/82 Pristine Black Diamonds (or is it 84?) and have about 79 more librams to get. I took a hint from you and asked my friend to help kill syndicate and he got almost to honored in 45 minutes but the time I hit Revered. He even did RAF with me just so I could get a rogue to start the junk box thing.

BTW, do you already have the bloodsail rep? By running DM north you can free Knot over and over with the shackle keys to get your goblin rep back and get librams (especially librams of protection, yay frayed abomination stitchings) too.
    .-= Eristhan’s last blog: Lessons From a Man in a Cape =-.

I’m working through Dire Maul North atm doing full clears of all the Elite ogres (only skipping the non-elite mobs where I can)

- collecting the occasional Black Pristine Diamond
      - collecting Librams
      - Free Knot! using the Gordok Shackle Key

I don’t have Bloodsail Rep. I’m taking a gamble that I can do that after reaching Exalted Steamwheedle. It could work out horribly wrong. But then this blog will be proof.

As a back up I’m hording my Tannin and if I have to come back to Dire Maul to get Exalted Steamwheedle a second time I’ll at least be able to do a chunk of it using the Tannin.

7. JaediaNo Gravatar says

The more I read these posts the more I want to do the grind myself, but the grind from revered with Goblins -> Bloodsail Buccaneers -> Exalted with Goblins is going to KILL me, slowly, with sandpaper. [edit: And yeah, I don't fancy being attacked everytime I want to use the neutral auction house, I'm doing it this way if I do it at all - I like using Goblin towns] Though that doesn’t sound anywhere near as painful as Darkmoon Faire (byebye gold). Think I’ll get Mag’har, Consortium, Timbermaw, and Thorium Brotherhood first for my 40!

Congrats too! :D You’ve worked damn hard for it.
    .-= Jaedia’s last blog: Oh Hey, Guys! =-.

• ShivaNo Gravatar says

If you’re intelligent about it, Darkmoon Faire rep isn’t to bad. It certainly takes some time, but you can definitely make a profit out of it.

I’ve made some comments here and there, but I think something very important is to plan ahead and do things together. For example, while doing both lockboxes and Goblin rep you can help yourself with Darkmoon by farming Incendius and King Gordok for Aces. Additionally, while doing Scholomance for Shendrelar rep you can farm Gandling for more Aces.

On the same token, if you plan to get the Wintersaber and Timbermaw rep, do Wintersaber first. As an added perk, both Timbermaw and Wintersaber drop a lot of Runecloth as a side-product. Runecloth can then be used to shore up your Alliance rep, or for Ogre Suits (Goblin Rep) or you can hold it on reserve on the gamble it’ll be used to quickly skill-up Worgen/Goblin (Horde) rep.

Also, if you’re planning to do both Battlemaster and Steamwheedle, I highly suggest doing STV quests first. The most efficient way to do both is to finish STV quests, which well rep-up your Steamwheedle. Then tank your Steamwheedle to rep-up Bloodsail. Finally repair your rep just enough to be able to do Kalimdor Steamwheedle quests. It’s a hefty boost.

8. AneaNo Gravatar says

I’m sorry that your post got eaten, but I have to say that all the little factoids one after the other are fun to read!

Grats on exalted!
    .-= Anea’s last blog: Honor de Ancestors =-.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eligio Garza IV, Lathere & Cassandri. Lathere & Cassandri said: New blog post: Junkboxes http://dlvr.it/1Wglw Enjoy! [...]