With the introduction of the Dungeon Finder in Patch 3.3 Blizzard have segmented some of the lengthy classic dungeons. Maraudon has been split into 3 separate dungeon runs: Purple Crystals (levels 39-49), Orange Crystals (levels 41-51) and Pristine Waters (levels 41-53).
Maraudon has a really odd structure. If you were to travel to the zone portal by foot – it’s underground in Desolace below the Valley of the Spears – you can follow the purple glowing crystals jutting out of the walls towards the Purple Crystals instance portal, or you can follow the orange glowing crystals jutting out of the walls to enter Mauradon via the Orange Crystals instance portal: two separate start points into the same instance.
Both Purple and Orange dungeon runs logically lead onto Pristine Waters. It’s kind of a Y shape – two instance runs leading to one final section.
The Purple Crystal run, containing the lowest level enemies and thus first in the series, will start you in a blue shadowed area called The Wicked Grotto. I hope you’re ready to kill some imps and demons!
The good news? Purple Crystals is a super fast instance run. The bad news? Purple Crystals is a super fast instance run. There’s only one boss to kill in order to receive Blizzard’s little completion box and a pat on the back for a job well done. You’ll probably finish your first run thinking: is that it? Never fear, I’ve included the directions to an extra boss if you’re left wanting more.
The bosses are:
- Lord Vyletongue
- Celebras the Cursed
Technically Celebras doesn’t really fit into the Purple Crystals run at all. Once you’ve killed Lord Vyletongue, the game will award you for completing the run. However, the next boss you come to in the original Mauradon (pre-segmented) is Celebras, and the poor guy isn’t part of either the Orange Crystals or Pristine Waters segments either. So I’ve tacked him on here. Plus some of your group members might have the quest to kill/talk to him and get his staff.
Still Want More?
As I mentioned above, you’ll probably kill Lord Vyletongue, get your satchel and stand around saying “so… we’re done?” to your other similarly bewildered party members. If you, and rest of your party, want to get more XP returned for the time spent in queue you can keep heading west towards Celebras the Cursed.
If you’ve killed Celebras and still want more, you can head south then east and jump off the edge when you reach the waterfall to begin a Pristine Waters run. Be careful, though. Blizzard defines the appropriate level for Pristine Waters as 41-53 but from experience I wouldn’t try this unless your tank and DPSers are all level 44+. The hydras in the water are about level 46 and you’re going to be in a word of hurt if you’re missing more than hitting.
The bosses in Pristine Waters are level 48 elites.
The Corpse Run
The absolutely worst part of Maraudon is the spirit run back to the instance portal. Avoid wiping at all costs!
If you’re a Warlock, be diligent about keeping your soulstone up on the healer. If you’re a soulstone’d healer, be very careful not to use your soulstone until you’re absolutely sure it’s safe and the area around you is clear of enemy mobs. Shamans with their self-ressurection would be a godsend here, too. Unfortunately none of my runs happened to include a Shaman.
If you have no other option, here’s how to get back:
- Run north and west from the graveyard up towards the Valley of Spears. On your map there are two huts drawn in, you want to aim for the southern one. Keep an eye out for the summoning stone. Then look up towards the north west and you’ll see a giant gargoyle looking entrance with some closed stone doors – run in.
- Inside the cavern. Walk half way across the bridge and turn left and jump right off. Follow that tunnel!
- You’ll get to a wide open room with Purple Crystals marking the left side of the room, Orange Crystals marking the right and an altar/wall decoration thing in the center. Go left, towards the Purple Crystals (if you can’t make out the colours in spirit form, go left).
- Follow the crystal tunnel. When you get to the bridge, head straight across and continue to follow the path towards the left.
- Continue through the tunnel until you reach a wide open cavern with bridges in the distance. Turn immediately to your right and you should be able to see the instance portal!
Here’s those instructions in picture form: